Worth to upgrade from a Oneplus5?

1. LesPaulAT
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2021

LesPaulAT , Apr 11, 2021 :
    Hi Folks,
    My OP5 is getting 4 years old now, and there are some minor problems associated with it, like a worn out usb port, fastcharging hasn't been working for a while anymore. I am looking for an upgrade now and could get a Oneplus8t for a reasonable good price. Having used OnePlus devices ever since the OPO, I have been anxiously waiting for the OP9, but was very disappointed to see that it doesn't have an OIS or also tele camera, thats why I was looking for alternatives. And as OP8T has an OIS, i thiught it could even be the better option for me. On the other hand, the camera of the 8T is criticised quite strongly in the various reviews.
    Unfortunately, I don't have an opportunity to get my hands on an Op8t before buying. Thats why I wanted to ask, whether anybody has directly upgraded from OP5 to OP8T and can either confirm that it was worth the upgrade, or that they regretted it for any reason. Thanks for sharing your experience 🙂

sumitanand97 likes this.
  2. SyamKG
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 11, 2021

SyamKG , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 11, 2021 :
    9R has ois. I think it's a better buy. Also it's same as 8T.

But if you're looking for offers and you can get 8T for reasonably lesser price..go for it.

3. Alexander55
    Froyo Apr 11, 2021

TheMystic, northbay5566 and Caoimhín like this.
  4. NaXal
    Gingerbread Apr 11, 2021

NaXal , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 11, 2021 :
    9R has exactly same configuration as 8T. Exactly same SoC / Camera / Screen / Battery & other hardware.

However, SoC has little higher clock speeds for both CPU & GPU. This will give you bit better benchmark score but in games or real world performance, no noticable difference.

But, same 7nm / same exact processor with higher clock speed will eat more battery and will produce more heat.

9R is slightly newer device by few months so it may receive few more months of official updates.

8T has IP68 (OnePlus doesn't claim but T-Mobile does for same device)
    8T has metal frame compare to plastic / fiber of 9R
    8T is well tested & has no major issues where as 9R yet to go on sale so new device unknown factors.

If you can't wait, then take 8T since some lucrative offers running in sale as with some old phone exchange, you can get a good price for 8T.

If you can wait, then wait for a few months as why just OnePlus, some other brands are releasing some other awesome phones too. If 9R user reports are good, get it, otherwise, why not S20 FE 5G or such.

Thanks.

TheMystic, SyamKG and Tokolozi like this.
  5. Ali18
    Gingerbread Apr 12, 2021

Tobikage likes this.
  6. Tobikage
    Nougat Apr 12, 2021

Tobikage , Apr 12, 2021 :
    It'll still better than the 5.
    and most of the bugs should have been ironed out by now.

Go for it.

northbay5566 likes this.
  7. shenan24
    Honeycomb Apr 12, 2021

shenan24 , Apr 12, 2021 :
    I did the same upgrade. I had the 5 and had to get a new phone because of some of the same issues that you are experiencing. imo it's a huge leap, but I feel like the 8T is lacking compared to other phones. mainly in the camera, if that is not important to you should upgrade to the 8T, if not I would a bit more maybe for the 9T.

northbay5566 likes this.
  8. Akkuktyr
    Cupcake Apr 16, 2021

Akkuktyr , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 16, 2021 :
    Yes brother you will get 12,256gb model of 9R at the price of 8,128gb of 8T

9. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 18, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 18, 2021 :
    Yes, it will be a worthwhile upgrade. Except for the cameras. I'm not saying they are bad. But they are not great. And this is true for all OnePlus phones. Also, no Telephoto lens on the 8T/ 9R/ 9.