Would you recommend the OPX, if..

?

Would you recommend the OPX ***FOR THE USE LISTED BELOW***?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. gringoboy
    Lollipop Mar 29, 2016

gringoboy , Mar 29, 2016 :
    The Nexus 5X is not too much bigger, and seems a pretty solid phone. Not sure how much it is, but it's not a huge price I think. Best support in any android phone most likely, so for reliability it's an option.

Tobikage likes this.
  2. matskb
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

matskb , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Is the Nexus 5X also available as dual-sim?

And just out of curiosity, how does the support for the Nexus 5X actually work? Does LG have service points in major cities that will repair any Nexus 5X issues on the same day?

(I'm asking because my last phone before buying the OP1 in 2014 was a Sony Xperia, and before that a Nokia, both of which had repair centers but where repair always required them shipping the device (taking 2-3 weeks), and where often 3 of these shipping-cycles were required before the device was actually repair. Just saying that Oneplus support is definitely not where it should ideally be, the same may well apply for other 'established' phone brands.)

That is probably true for every Android phone, due to the 'skinning' that X Waiting explained. Of course this does not apply for the Nexus-line of phones that have no 'skin' but truely stock Android.

Regarding the software bugs/reliability for Oneplus' skin (called Oxygen OS): for everyday use, there are only a few issues. The bluetooth/carkit issue has already been pointed out. Good to hear that a fix is also already available.
    The same goes for dual-sim control. When you set 'always ask which SIM' for calls, after a few calls it somehow automatically changes to one of your sims as the default SIM for all calls. Same bug was present on the OP2. Luckily, as with most software problems on Android phones, this problem can be easily fixed by downloading and using another dialer app. The only drawback of that fix (apart from the fact that you will need to spend 5min on finding a Dialer app that you like and installing it) is that you would use that app (instead of the pre-installed dialer app by Oneplus). There are plenty of good apps around with neat customization options for business use (e.g. set default SIM per contact, grouping contacts and setting ringtones per group, etc.).

The remaining bugs do not adversely affect my daily use, but are noticeable. For me, the ones I've noticed are:
    - Phone vibrates during calls every now and then (perhaps 2-5 times per minute)
    - Sometimes the screen goes on if the phone is pressured in my pocket (proximity sensor should prevent this) and I would find that certain touches were made (apps open etc.)

Selphie and gringoboy like this.
  3. richardgilby
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

richardgilby , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Only "issues" I have so far (in first month) is the battery-which is very poor. In fact id go as far as saying the worst battery i've had yet in a new phone-last ones being sony z3 compact, htc one and moto g. Im hoping Marshmallow when it eventually comes to the OPX will help some. But it does charge very quickly to counter it.

And there is no MHL out facility to play things on a TV using a lead. Castings fine, but when the battery is so poor you don't know how long its going to last.

Only experienced 1 or 2 minor "freezes", but generally everything is quick and does what it should.

Almost like "stock" android as people call it, with no rubbish apps you want to, but cant delete.

The dark themes work well, and prob save on battery. Good 1080 screen, but not a patch on the HTC One's more natural colouring.

Be aware though, if you use both sim's, you cant insert a memory card.

Selphie likes this.
  4. Tobikage
    Nougat Mar 29, 2016

Tobikage , Mar 29, 2016 :
    LG G4 Dual SIM.

Moto X Pure / Style Dual SIM.

Note 5 DUOS.

Samsung S7 DUOS.

Tiny hands ?
    get these... images.jpg

5. matskb
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

matskb , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Oh and regarding this point, please do know that Oneplus does not charge VAT on the phone (and does not provide a VAT invoice), so you cannot deduct VAT as a business (if relevant for where you live/operate). If other phones on the market do come with a VAT invoice, then a 20% more expensive alternative phone may come down to the same net costs for your business.

Selphie likes this.
  6. Abhie
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

Abhie , Mar 29, 2016 :
    ad 1) & 2): >> This is compared to OPO and OPT. Technical yes. Bill of materials.

ad 3) >> Not Limited to OPX. OPT as well. Basically Oxygen OS.The bugs would depend on the implementation of the OS on a particular set of hardware. Companies with better budgets perform intensive testing and bug fixing before pushing out a patch or update. However, even some of these companies like Xiaomi and samsung have major bugs some times.

ad 4) Nothing to do with Pricing. OP is a new company, shipping phones all over the world. Figuring out logistics and support for this scale, means partnership with multiple partners in each country ( depending on the size of the country, population and sales ). Its a big headache and will take years have smooth support operations. As of now, IMHO, only Samsung, LG, Motorola, Google ( in locations where they sell Nexus ), and a few others have been able to get it to a bare optimum level.

For you, based on your requirements, i would recommend Moto G. Its slightly smaller than OpX, less expensive, better battery life, trouble free ( i used to own one, and it was stolen. They had a choice to steal the OPO too then, but choose the Moto G ) , supports VoLTE, VoWifi .. and all other standards around, had a dual sim setup, has a reliable cloud based backup platform support , Latches on to a network faster, and stays longer over it, better voice quality, gets the latest updates in less than a month after google releases it ....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

7. richardgilby
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

Have you the "double tap to wake" turned on??

8. matskb
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

matskb , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Yes, loving it!

Is it a known bug that the proximity sensor 'block' for in your pocket does not work with the "double tap to wake" function?

9. richardgilby
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

For you, based on your requirements, i would recommend Moto G. Its way smaller than OpX,

Isnt it the same 5" size screen? (3rd gen)

Selphie likes this.
  10. richardgilby
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

Does the proximity sensor stop accidental "turn on's" then?? Havnt tried the double tap to wake yet, as on my last z3c, it was always turning in pocket?? Will give it a go if it does help, as its a good thing to use, rather than constantly pressing the switch.

11. matskb
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

matskb , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Yeah, it does. Try turning it on and double-tapping while covering the proximity sensor with your other hand :)

While testing, I notice that the proximity sensor does not block turn-on of the screen when you use the lock button. That's probably why it sometimes turns on if the phone is squeezed in between stuff in my coat pockets. Another mystery solved!

12. Abhie
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

Abhie , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Yes, but overall smaller, lighter .. not way, but slightly ...

13. gringoboy
    Lollipop Mar 29, 2016

gringoboy , Mar 29, 2016 :
    My bad, didn't realise dual sim was required.

14. richardgilby
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

which are you saying is smaller??

According to official specs, the OPX is 140 x 69 compared to 141.5 x 70.7 and loads thinner.

Only looked it up as my son has the moto g, and was sure it was bigger.

The OPX has got to be one of the thinnest phones out there too.

Selphie likes this.
  15. Selphie
    Eclair Mar 29, 2016

Selphie , Mar 29, 2016 :
    You just gave me a good laugh, thank you :D Will check out the Moto X Pure, I don't know why it didn't show up on their website.

You're my personal hero on this thread. Thank you :) While I did realize that, it's so nice of you to point that out AS WELL, next to all the other really useful information! Really appreciated!

No worries. My life would be a lot easier, if it wasn't. :)

Thank you :) I'm aware of that, and I really won't need any. I never quite managed to fill up a 2GB SD card (on Phones with ~1GB memory) - so I believe I'd do just fine without :D

matskb and gringoboy like this.
  16. richardgilby
    Cupcake Mar 29, 2016

Just quickly tried it, does seem to make a difference. Will give it a go, and see how we go-hopefully wont make any accidental calls or texts like before!!

17. Tobikage
    Nougat Mar 29, 2016

Tobikage , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Sold in Asia only I guess.

Both the G4 and Moto have Dual SIM versions and both have separate SD card slots....so I'm looking at those two.

Selphie likes this.
  18. Multiplatform Gamer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 29, 2016

19. FalconFX
    Honeycomb Mar 29, 2016

FalconFX , Mar 29, 2016 :
    I wouldnt trust my money maker with a cheap phone. You might save 150-200$. But you never know how much you'll lose from lost calls, freezes or random reboots.

Consider it and investment in your business. And it will pay for its self in the long run !

Selphie and Abhie like this.
  20. S8Graham
    Donut Mar 29, 2016

S8Graham , Mar 29, 2016 :
    Having been in business , a business that relied heavily on mobile phones as my main point of contact with my base , customers and suppliers and having been a mobile phone user for almost 30 years I will undoubtedly recommend the OnePlus X as a business phone . Battery life is acceptable and no worse than many other premium devices and I shall assume you have access to a car charger whilst out of the office , or you could invest in a powerbank . What many will fail to appreciate is the fine line in business between having a stylish phone at a great price and the customer / client wondering if you would not be more affordable had you not wasted triple the cost on the latest flagship that will be worth a third of it's cost in 12 months . Ordering is simple , the phone takes around 10 days to be delivered and 6 months later I can not fault it , it has generated business both for myself and OnePlus through customers unaware of the brand falling for its good looks , dual sim functionality , quality of build and the clarity of the screen . In short if you want to appear stylish but savvy , are not obsessed with labels , brands and having the latest model as many here seem to be then the X is a great business phone .

Selphie likes this.