Wrap Charge adaptor got short Circuited.

1. eastbay
    Lollipop Mar 27, 2021

eastbay , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Mar 27, 2021 :
    Your The Man. Antonio. These people Just don't get it!!! 👊🏻👊🏻👊🏻 don't forget The Red cable. that's a plus!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021

Antonio_Luis likes this.
  2. H1603087175829 , via OnePlus 8T Lunar Silver , Mar 27, 2021 :
    Will buy a new one [e]1f44d[/e].. However, I wonder why serge protection didn't work and bricked the adaptor... Any views??

Antonio_Luis, eastbay and Tokolozi like this.
  3. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 27, 2021

Antonio_Luis , Mar 27, 2021 :
    I'm not an electrician but I've had a lot of electrical issues in my house over the years. The surge could have come from something else that was plugged in at the same time or connected to something that is plugged into the surge protector. We use to have grounding issues in my house and the electricity would burn out my cable box. We got that fixed, then it burnt out my PS4. I got a new one, then my TV went out and the surge protector didn't catch it because it was coming from a source other than the outlet. I'd definitely get things checked in your place because this could be a sign of a bigger issue.

4. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Mar 27, 2021

5. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Mar 27, 2021

Tokolozi , Mar 27, 2021 :
    Hey, the adapters usually have a built in surge protection, however the arcing you had at the pin seems more likely to be caused by a bad contact on the socket side. So before the surge protection. Basically the pin got "welded'

Gor.V, eastbay and Antonio_Luis like this.
  6. eastbay
    Lollipop Mar 27, 2021

eastbay , via OnePlus 8T T-Mobile , Mar 27, 2021 :
    You definitely explained that properly!!

Gor.V and Antonio_Luis like this.

eastbay likes this.
  8. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Mar 27, 2021

Gor.V and H1603087175829 like this.
  9. vikarshaikh18
    Honeycomb Mar 27, 2021

H1603087175829 likes this.
  10. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Mar 28, 2021

DarshanMeniya , Mar 28, 2021 :
    I think you should replace it but remember it's replaceable for only 6 months from date of purchase!

11. hbk1402
    KitKat Mar 28, 2021

hbk1402 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 28, 2021 :
    Firstly you should be thankful to God that your adaptor saved your phone for the problem was due to loose socket board 🙂 but would you still take second chance!? No point in regretting later! 😅

Why can't you take opinion from official channels as well! 😋

Open "Open Plus Care" app, click on "Get in Touch" and select call, talk to customer care.

Hope that answered. Good to get opinions but finally it should be your own decision always.

12. hbk1402
    KitKat Mar 28, 2021

hbk1402 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Mar 28, 2021 :
    Also thankful to OnePlus for building a robust charger that saved your phone from socket short circuit and still working!! Hail OnePlus!!

13. Gor.
    Lollipop Mar 28, 2021

Gor. , Mar 28, 2021 :
    Damn! Not an expert but my logical sense tells me that you should replace the brick and look for a perfect fit socket. Not the ones that leave the brick slightly lose when plugged in because that also creates some sparks when mistakenly touch or moved.

14. H1603087175829 , via OnePlus 8T Lunar Silver , Mar 28, 2021 :
    Ordered a new one and taken up with OnePlus. I am not expert too, What I understood by talking to many other experts like some of you, such high Voltage chargers should trigger serge protection immediately rather continue transmitting current to charge the device, after such incident. If anyone knows any page in the community where this should be highlighted for improvement of the product R&D, plz let me know.
    Just to clarify if any confusion - the adaptor got sparked.due to short Circuit and my houses main circuit breaker.got triggerd to cut off the entire electricity supply, had my house didn't have the circuit breaker, I am sure I wouldn't have posted this thread using my OnePlus 8T.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021

Gor.V likes this.
  15. kushal_s1296
    Donut Mar 28, 2021

Gor.V likes this.
  16. Xcommunicad0
    Lollipop Mar 28, 2021

Xcommunicad0 , via OnePlus 8T , Mar 28, 2021 :
    Great save 😃
    Although, a real warning call for everyone else.... whether an adaptor is fast or normal charger, it's imperative that the socket being used is proper and not loose once connected.

Not everyone gets lucky and you may not get a 2nd chance 🙏

Gor.V likes this.
  17. L1616949169142
    Cupcake Mar 28, 2021

L1616949169142 , Mar 28, 2021 :
    It did exactly what it is suppose to do. Read its specification numbers.

Electronics will routinely convert thousands joule surges into low DC voltages that safely power semiconductors. Best protection at each appliance is already inside each appliance.

Protector can put a surge from one wire onto all other wires. Now that surge has all wires to hunt for earth ground, destructively, via electronics. Sometimes on paths that even compromise (bypass) what is superior protection inside electronics.

No problem. It is called a surge protector. So it must be surge protection. Word association proves it?

Surges are extremely rare - maybe one every seven years. Many will not see one in 20 years. So urban myths will promote that near zero joule protector - a $3 power strip with five cent protector parts for $25 or $80. It protects profit margin - not appliances - because a surge did not happen for many years.

Protection only exists when a surge is not anywhere inside. Over 100 years ago, facilities that could not have damage would earth one 'whole house' protector. Then hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly outside in earth. Then hundreds of thousands of joules (and smaller surges) are not blowing through protectors to damage appliances.

Lightning can be 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector (costing about $1 per appliance) is 50,000 amps. Since that connects low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to earth ground electrodes, then hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate harmlessly outside. Then nobody even knew a surge existed. These come from other companies known for integrity.

Unfortunately you did not have the proven solution. You had an urban myth that so easily manipulates (scams) consumers who do not ask 1) what it does and who 2) ignore all specification numbers.

A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. Plug-in protectors have no earth ground. Can make appliance damage easier. And also have a nasty habit of doing this:
    http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2013/10/house_fire_was_caused_by_fault.html

BTW power supply never protect by failing. Concepts such as overvoltage protection are triggered only during the event. And then go back to normal when that overvoltage ends or power is temporarily cut off. It failed because something overwhelmed and destroyed existing internal protection. Effective protection never fails catastrophically. Not in a power supply. And not in any properly sized and properly installed protector.

Gor.V likes this.
  18. hbk1402
    KitKat Apr 1, 2021

hbk1402 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 1, 2021 :
    👍

Gor.V likes this.

Gor.V and Overzee like this.
  20. Technical SuranaJi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2021

Gor.V likes this.