Write your reply ... With Style ! a beginner's guide for web text input interface!

1. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 29, 2019

Impersonal , Dec 29, 2019 :
    20191229_204740_0000 (1).png

Hello There !​

This is a brief introduction to the text input web interface, because you know, nobody uses the Community app anyways ;), the "beginner" I'm referring to, is obviously ... ME, I have no technical qualification,I just like to engage (from time to time) ,I enjoy to write long, usually confusing messages, and this expose, is just how I use the text input interface...

Screenshot_20191229-195708_2.jpg
    this is the interface I'm referring to, but what do all the little buttons do? Let's find out (together):

our first group of mysterious symbols are these:
    bold.png
    *from left to right
    Bold, makes text, t.h.i.c.c

Italic, text slightly oriented to the right side, it is a Italian thing I guess, always use when addressing someone from the boot-shaped peninsula

Underline, because, why not have a line down under...

*the text formatting can be applied either before you start to type, by simply taping the button you want, or afterwords by selecting the specific text you want to receive that format and then tap the button.

next group :
    color.png
    *also from left to right
    First we have Text Colour because life is sometimes magenta not only black on white!

Next we have Font Size, because sometimes size matters!

And last is Font Family, basically different styles of letters, sadly no Comic Sans :(

*same as the first group, text formatting can be applied before or after typing

Now something more "advanced":
    link.png
    the Link and his brother dark un Link, how do they work, fist you tap the one on the left and you get this box:
    1.jpg

just paste the url/ web page link/ you've copied prior from your browser or whatever

2.jpg
    then tap "Insert", you'll get something like this:

3.jpg

you can then start to shorten the text of the link.. simply delete some letters, not all...

Screenshot_20191229-215827__01.jpg

you can then add some text of your own, you know, make it more relevant or something, it needs a little learning, but the baseline is that if text still red, the link will work...

4.jpg
    5.jpg

after you post your reply this will be this result: and if still in red, the link will work!;) just be careful what you post...

Screenshot_20191229-215926__01.jpg

all the cool kids do it this way, obviously you can always just copy/paste a link directly into the interface, and it will work, it will be long and ugly, with less of a cool factor, but it will work :)

the unLink button will just make your link not work, note that it can be properly used only after you've done some editing since even if "unlinked", if you post a URL in its fullness, it will be considered correct, and still work...

next we have this sideways bar graph o_O, its the Align button, with the drop down options of

left center right
    bar.png

Screenshot_20191229-225514__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191229-225524__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191229-225530__01.jpg

those mofos:
    bulle.png
    from left to right
    • first inserts a bullet point (a dark filled circle), observation: it automatically adds another when pressing enter! or obviously you can select the text you needed "pointed" and just tap it, it will insert as many as necessarily.
    opiin.jpg

1. the next one is basically the same but with numbers :D
    2. great for lists though !
    Screenshot_20191229-234113.jpg

the next two opposing twins are "to the left, to the left" and "to the right to the right", no they are not 2020 best summer jam, they actually do that to the text you want moved, it can be used multiple times, until you find the perfect place for the text.
    *yeah I know their proper name, but I like this more festive naming scheme ;)
    Screenshot_20191229-233120.jpg

next on the list the FUN buttons
    smile.png

Smiles and Emojis, you know them, you love them, just AWESOME, the written language will soon be extinct!

:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

:angry::anguished::astonished::blush::coldsweat::confounded::cry::disappointed::disrelieved::dizzy::expressionless::fearscream::fearful::flushed::frowning::grimacing::grin::grinning::hearteyes::hearteyecat::hushed::imp::innocent::joycat::kissing::kissingcat::kissingclosed::kissingheart::kissingsmiling::laughing::mask::neutral::nomouth::openmouth::pensive::persevere::poutingcat::rage::relaxed::relieved::screamcat::sleeping::sleepy::smile::smilecat::smiley::smileycat::smilingimp::smirk::smirkcat::sob::sunglasses::sweat::sweatsmile::tearsofjoy::tired::tongueclosed::tongueout::tonguewink::unamused::weary::wink::worried::yum:

next we have "insert" image, by image url, for me it never works , so... don't bother?!

next is embed video, similar to the link button, in the box just paste a url for a video...

as a observation YouTube videos are automatically embedded, just by pasting the link in the text area, no need for the actual button, because obviously the button does not always work :(

the last button of the bunch to me is actually the most fun, it offers 4 drop-down options, all awesome

SPOILER,
    it hides sensitive content
    CODE, for the biggest hackers in the world
    Code:
    interesting
    and my favorite STRIKE-THROUGH, sometimes you need more gravitas than just deleting a word.

undo and redo.png
    the Undo and Redo, because some mistakes can be undone or... redone

draft.png
    this button can Save your text (especially) in a long post, that is usually done automatically, but you can tap it form time to time, just to be sure, and it can also delete draft, you know, for when you wanted to post something and got anxiety or something and your box is full of saved text...

about the last two buttons:

tx.png

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DO, NEVER USED THEM, THEY ARE SCARY !
    *if someone actually does, feel free to comment below

This concludes out our dive into the user interface, you now have the knowledge I wanted to find when I decided to be more active.. you can use it or not, regardless...
    Go out there, explore, enjoy this wonderful Community, our Community, please feel free to engage the topics, threads, people you find interesting, obviously respect others through the basic FORUM RULES and most importantly :

HAVE FUN !

ps: OnePlus is always trying to better the status quo, to enable the Community to fulfill its potential, so if you have any feedback regarding the web text interface, just leave it bellow, it doesn't matter if you're a new user or a well established one @dsmonteiro will surely check-out your ideas

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020

2. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jan 4, 2020

Stickied Post
    TibiTibi , Jan 4, 2020 :
    [​IMG]
    Again I inserted your images using the steps above.

Enter the Matrix formatting magic.

Click the second button to switch the editor to raw mode. Here you can see how the things works. It reveals all the formatting magic.

Screenshot_2020-01-04-15-33-02-890_com.android.chrome_001.jpg

This way you can fix some issues.
    Notice the Use Rich text editor below to switch back.

Naked magic - my post in raw style editor - BB.
    Screenshot_2020-01-04-15-42-38-212_com.android.chrome_001.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020

3. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Dec 30, 2019

Impersonal , Dec 30, 2019 :
    what are my 2 cents about the interface and the whole text input endeavor.... well it obviously, needs improvement!

A revamped look (or the options to chose a different more custom look)
    • definitely some more intuitive bigger buttons
    • maybe some color
    • maybe a dark theme for all the night owls

Some bugs need a fixing

• especially the deletion of the next word if editing
    • fixing some errors of java scrip etc
    And a more streamed-lined experience, some buttons need to disappear and their functionality be completely embedded in the interface, especially the ones regarding sharing of media, photos, links etc, a raising of the Mb limit for uploads etc

What I would like to see implemented the most is :
    The possibility to edit posted messages in private conversation !

*Mainly because English (as is the case with most users) ain't my native tongue, and I sound even more confusing in my dm's

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020

4. BeingIncog
    Nougat Jan 1, 2020

5. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2020

Impersonal , Jan 1, 2020 :
    Thank You, if there is someone, who definitely has style in their posts, it's YOU, I love the effort, effect etc you put into yours, that even somehow inspired this whole thread! A tool in helping others find their style!

6. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jan 1, 2020

Starcommander , Jan 1, 2020 :
    These buttons saved me. @dsmonteiro knows this the best!
    It is used to reset the text so as to make them compatible with app and browser

buntycubal and Impersonal like this.
  7. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 1, 2020

Impersonal , Jan 1, 2020 :
    If you have the time, please feel free to explain their functions and functionality, and will have the post sticky !

8. Starcommander
    Lollipop Jan 1, 2020

Starcommander , Jan 1, 2020 :
    Yep wait!

buntycubal and Impersonal like this.
  9. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jan 4, 2020

TibiTibi , Jan 4, 2020 :
    The image button works.
    I use it often.

How it works?
    1. I opened your image in a new tab.
    2. Copied the url.
    3. Clicked the image button.
    4. Inserted the link.
    5. Tada.
    [​IMG]

cdnfarmer, buntycubal and Impersonal like this.
  10. Impersonal
    Jelly Bean Jan 5, 2020

Impersonal , Jan 5, 2020 :
    Thank You Tibi !

buntycubal and TibiTibi like this.
  11. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Jan 5, 2020

Cheetosdust , Jan 5, 2020 :
    Hello @Impersonal

like I mentioned already, there's a lot of useful information in this thread for new members, so I have pinned it.

This way it's always visible to everyone who visits the Starting Point section.

We'll see how it evolves, but thank you for creating it, you did a very nice job. :cool:

12. X1578305738879
    Cupcake Jan 6, 2020

13. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jan 6, 2020

TibiTibi , Jan 6, 2020 :
    Hi,
    use search or go to HOWTO - Set my nickname

Be sure you asks question in the right thread.

Starcommander and buntycubal like this.
  14. Christyna64
    Cupcake Jan 15, 2020

buntycubal, cdnfarmer and TibiTibi like this.