[XDA] Google are developing their own chip, and what that could mean.

?

So, what do you think it means?

1. Updates, updates, updates!

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Your data are belong to us!

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I'll stick to my... (See comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Potatoe

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 3, 2021

Mr. BG , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Google is developing their own mobile chip with Samsungs' SLSI division, this is confirmed by several sources, XDA among them, so I think we can safely say It's no longer a rumour.

The chip is internally known as Whitechapel (GS101) in a shared platform called "Slider", and like Apple's M1 it will be used in many of Google's devices like Chromebooks and of course the upcoming Pixel 6.

The new chip features an octa-core ARM CPU with two Cortex-A78 + two Cortex-A76 + four Cortex-A55 cores, a standard ARM Mali GPU on a 5nm manufacturing process. So it will roughly be comparable with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 7 series.

"Having seen some internal documentation related to Google’s next Pixel devices, XDA can now corroborate that Google is working on new GS101 silicon for its 2021 Pixel phones. According to our source, it seems the SoC will feature a 3 cluster setup with a TPU (Tensor Processing Unit). Google also refers to its next Pixel devices as “dauntless-equipped phones”, which we believe refers to them having an integrated Titan M security chip (code-named “Citadel)."

This chip in itself is no reason to get all excited, but the reason why they do it is. This way Google will have control over driver updates and be able to provide longer support from 3 major updates to maybe even 5 generations.

One of the things that has irritated me for a long time is Qualcomm limiting driver updates. It caused for example Sony to no longer support my beloved Xperias, but also the Oneplus One and X drivers development were shortlived when Qualcomm jumped to the 64bit platform, severely limiting Custom ROM developers (old folk will remember Sultans' camera HAL well, for example)

Just imagine what it means to custom ROM developers, the scene has been in decline for a long time, this may just spark new life in that area as well...

What do you think, will this have an impact on the mobile phone world?

Please leave your thoughts below...

Source: XDA

2. Rusty NZ
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2021

Rusty NZ , Apr 3, 2021 :
    It all sounds positive to me 😃

3. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    So a new player enters the pitch, hopefully it will force the competition to alter their strategy.

4. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Apr 3, 2021

Dresa91 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Looks promising:)
    Hope for a good Pixel 6:)

5. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 3, 2021

McJader , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Hopefully it stops Qualcomm from behaving like the smartphone chip market is their monopoly

7. McJader
    Lollipop Apr 3, 2021

McJader , Apr 3, 2021 :
    One can hope, even Exynos chips are improving every year
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2021

Bobbie63 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    I’m afraid not, not within the near future I fear, maybe little babysteps
    upload_2021-4-3_12-58-15.gif

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:33 AM

9. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Thanks for this thread @Mr. BG! I see that the great "players" are all making this move ... And I know that at the moment it seems like a good thing, and maybe it is, but I always suspect because I know that these companies are not concerned with us, the users. They are only concerned with increasing profits regardless of whether or not they later offer quality. At that moment the user is limited because all the big ones will have their chipsets. I hope that my view is wrong and that this will be the beginning of a more competitive market, both in terms of performance and in terms of prices, but I have serious doubts ...

10. SRD.
    Lollipop Apr 3, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 3, 2021 :
    May be the limitation of support for Snapdragon chips, google may be trying something unique like a 5-year support, or performance optimization for the Pixel range of devices.
    This however sounds a positive move and break the monopoly of SD chips.

11. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2021

Mr. BG, Dresa91 and Helder_DAlmeida like this.
  12. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 3, 2021

theshinybeast , Apr 3, 2021 :
    This. It is indeed one of the most annoying traits of Qualcomm.
    Really screws with custom ROMs and more importantly, custom Kernels.

13. NShankaraN
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2021

NShankaraN , via OnePlus 5 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    This looks very promising.
    This might be the reason why SD decided for a collaboration with Google to support for 4 years OS and security updates starting with SD 888 back in Dec 2020

Helder_DAlmeida, Mr. BG and Dresa91 like this.
  14. Mr. BG

Mr. BG , Apr 3, 2021 :
    It's good to have choice, and if any, Google/Samsung have the oomph to pull this off..

Me too, but I'm afraid it will be big, like the 4a 5G :(

It prolly won't, but it might just make them slightly nervous.

Midrange is where it's at, and if manufacturers can get a better supported SOC they don't have to suck up so much to Qualcomm.

15. Mr. BG

Mr. BG , Apr 3, 2021 :
    EggJackly :p

There is no incentive for Qualcomm to support their chips after they moved on to the next new thing, that's different for Google.

16. Navdeep_Malik
    Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida and Dresa91 like this.
  17. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Apr 3, 2021

18. Tobikage
    Nougat Apr 3, 2021

19. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Apr 3, 2021

Dresa91 , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Maybe a 6 and a 6 XL

20. JvdBeemt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2021

JvdBeemt , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Hi,

It might indeed be that Google is after longer support for Android device.
    With prices of over a 1000€ users are asking for longer support.
    And if Google has to depend on driver support from hardware company's they can't guarantee that.
    So in my opinion it is a logical next step.
    And choise of Samsung as partner in this would mean they could proffit as wel with an even bigger marketshare of the Android driven world than they have today.