[XDA] Google are developing their own chip, and what that could mean.

?

So, what do you think it means?

1. Updates, updates, updates!

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Your data are belong to us!

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I'll stick to my... (See comments)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Potatoe

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Apr 3, 2021

hennes , Apr 3, 2021 :
    Nothing that comes as a surprise and nothing that is new right now, the wet dream of google to produce its own chip, or to have it produced, has always existed and, among others, other manufacturers are interested in it. ARM makes it possible.
    But all this has little or nothing to do with update processes, because Trebel has actually created the prerequisites that you can get manufacturer updates in the long term, it would not be a problem today to give the OP 8 Pro an update to Android 14 or 15, but that is not up to Qualcomm but OnePlus whether they give you the update, whether they adapt the OS to the old device, manufacturers want to earn money and spend little money, an update support for 5 years would mean that OnePlus would have to provide developers who still write the OS for these old devices, that costs money and then there is the fact that they want to earn money, a device that is supported for 5 years usually means that you don't buy a new device every 2 but every 3 years, that means loss and drop in sales, no manufacturer wants that, and by the way Qualcomm doesn't want that and google even less. The biggest profiteer of newly sold devices is by far google, because they get money for the fact that others advertise with Android, in addition google gets more data about the user with every new device which they can convert into money. Actually, with Trebel, it was supposed to become easier for ROM development, but unfortunately, in the second step, Google got even more involved in the ASOP and penetrated even deeper into the system than before, which in turn made it more difficult for ROM developers. Google has by far no interest in helping Lineage and other ROMs, they never have and never will, I see a move that will be even more negative than it already is, android will become a google product in the long run even if the kernel is open source, the rest will become less and less so and with this step google will integrate itself directly into the system and you'll never get rid of it, they'll become what Apple has been for a long time, a golden cage that doesn't allow anything, at least on pixel devices, you can like that or not. And yes, then there is Fuchsia, google is pursuing the goal of having its own OS that runs everywhere, of course it would be great if you also have your own CPU that you can modify depending on the device, because Fuchsia should run everywhere, whether on speakers, the smartphone, tablet or on a Chromebook. Fuchsia is supposed to be able to run android apps natively just like it can run Linux programs natively, i.e. without a virtual environment.
    It's going to be exciting but also scary, because all of this creates a market similar to Apple's, and God knows I don't need another manufacturer who wants to lock me in a gilded cage.

Just my 10 cent

2. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 3, 2021

Mr. BG , Apr 3, 2021 :
    More like 20, thanks for the insight ;)

3. Shailender Sharma
    Marshmallow Apr 5, 2021 at 1:25 PM

Shailender Sharma , Apr 5, 2021 at 1:25 PM :
    Thanks, for the the indepth insights :)

4. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Apr 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM

Dresa91 likes this.
  5. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Apr 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM

Tokolozi , Apr 5, 2021 at 2:20 PM :
    I'm really hopeful for these, and would love to see what comes out of this. Maybe not directly but over the years after release for sure.

Mr. BG, McJader and Dresa91 like this.
  6. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2021 at 3:55 PM

7. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Apr 6, 2021 at 4:19 PM

Mr. BG , Apr 6, 2021 at 4:19 PM :
    Interesting enough to wait for the Pixel 6 for now. Hope they won't make it a huge slab...

Interesting take on the matter, thank you ;)

sumitMZ007 and Dresa91 like this.
  8. AndroidManiac
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021 at 4:50 PM

hennes and Mr. BG like this.
  9. Princevs2
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021 at 5:52 PM

Based_Individual likes this.
  10. ChristianLotino
    Froyo Apr 6, 2021 at 6:11 PM

11. AndroidManiac
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021 at 6:17 PM

AndroidManiac , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 6, 2021 at 6:17 PM :
    I'm also thinking this way... If Google gonna dominate then dominate me.

12. Dhruv Kashyap
    Jelly Bean Apr 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM

Dresa91 likes this.
  13. sfomin
    Nougat Apr 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM

sfomin , Apr 6, 2021 at 7:19 PM :
    y'all so cheap, thats a whole dollar bill right there :rolleyes:

hennes and Mr. BG like this.
  14. AndroidManiac
    Gingerbread Apr 6, 2021 at 7:21 PM

sfomin likes this.
  15. 21shubhamshukla
    Cupcake Apr 6, 2021 at 7:43 PM

16. Karanb247
    Froyo Apr 6, 2021 at 8:27 PM

17. coparooniYT
    Donut Apr 6, 2021 at 9:05 PM

Based_Individual likes this.
  18. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 6, 2021 at 9:30 PM

The1Lion , Apr 6, 2021 at 9:30 PM :
    I think there's good potential there; but, it being Google, that potential may never be achieved ;)

But hey, there's hope :p

sfomin, Dresa91 and Mr. BG like this.
  19. UncleBooey
    Honeycomb Apr 6, 2021 at 9:41 PM

20. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 6, 2021 at 10:09 PM

Dresa91 likes this.