Xiaomi patents an all-screen fingerprint sensor

1. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club Jan 13, 2022

Navdeep_Malik , Jan 13, 2022 :
    B1855EA5-6276-438C-B2C3-02D84C103D44.jpeg
    banner by: @rohitanand

A
    n all-screen fingerprint scanner
    ! Yes, you read it correctly. Xiaomi is about to change the landscape of under the display fingerprint technology if a new patent is to be believed. The tech will help to provide a smooth and carefree unlocking experience.

Gone would be the days when one has to actively align their thumb on a small scanning area. The tech under development will make use of the entire display. This, in turn, will reduce the hassle of hitting a tiny target. The patent provides a look behind the curtain, to see how the magic happens. Let's take a look

Xiaomi-Fingerprint-Patentm,.png
    (Xiaomi's all-screen fingerprint sensor patent)​

But how does it work?
    To put it simply, there will be an array of infrared transmitters and receivers, sandwiched between the AMOLED display on the bottom and a capacitive touch screen on the top. Now when you place your thumb on the screen, it will register the touch response along with the shape and size of your thumb.

Having that recorded, the transmitter LEDs will light up the thumb and the light will be reflected back to the receivers. Here is when the mapped data is saved and later compared, whenever you try to unlock the screen. The interesting thing to note here is that only the region under the finger will light up, not the full screen. One thing is for sure, if you have small hands, like me, it will be a welcome change. No more awkwardly extending the thumb to reach the scanner.

An all-screen fingerprint scanner makes the unlocking method so much easier to use and hopefully, it will be secure enough. One question you might have – I sure do – is "but what about accidental touch that may lead to unintentional unlocking?" For now, that question remains unanswered but hopefully, the developers will find the right answer.

Looking back at the first fingerprint scanners on smartphones, it's easy to see how much the tech evolved. I still remember those oddly positioned back panel fingerprint scanners. It definitely took me some time to get used to them. Then came the current under-the-display fingerprint scanners - better but restricted to a small region. Let's wait to see how full-screen fingerprint sensors change the way we use our devices, if and when they reach the market.

Meanwhile, let me ask you guys a couple of questions. How has been your experience with fingerprint scanners over the years? And what matters to you the most? The unlocking speed, the reliability are you part of team give-me-a-notch-with-sensors-I-don't-care-about-fingerprint-sensors? :rolleyes:

Source: Gizmochina

2. camohan
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jan 13, 2022

camohan , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Anyone got the patent for Fps on the sides of the device?

Phones be like Touch me anywhere!

3. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Jan 13, 2022

dsmonteiro , Jan 13, 2022 :
    There are already phones with that, silly.

Caomhin, Daniel D., Zuess and 5 others like this.
  4. camohan
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jan 13, 2022

camohan , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Did you call me silly or the phones with Fps on sides as silly.
    It's fine if its former.

5. dsmonteiro
    Infamous Mastermind Staff Member Jan 13, 2022

dsmonteiro , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Yes.

6. sweggitity
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 13, 2022

sweggitity , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Having a fingerprint on the side integrated with the power button is more than enough, no will complain about it. Wonder why they are not integrating that.

7. Navdeep_Malik

Navdeep_Malik , Jan 13, 2022 :
    A lot of devices already have side mounted sensors now a days. But it also has its own issues. Like, bezels being so narrow these days the area of sensor is reduced and if you slap a cover on your phone then it can be Lil difficult to reach too.

mallu.achayan likes this.
  8. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 13, 2022

9. David.Gomes
    Gingerbread Jan 13, 2022

10. R1642020905133
    Cupcake Jan 13, 2022

11. Cheetosdust
    Moderator, Content Coordinator Moderator Writers' Club Jan 13, 2022

Cheetosdust , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Just give me one that takes the bottom third of the screen, that's reliable, and secure.I'll be happy with it. :cool:

That's the place I grab my device anyway, so it'll be way less prone to adjustments of the finger.

12. Navdeep_Malik

Navdeep_Malik , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 13, 2022 :
    Now, that will require a separate patent and not be an all screen fingerprint scanner 😛😛

Tbh, thats how they can practically implement the tech. Plus something like pocket mode to avoid some accidental touch.

13. zleOgaming
    Eclair Jan 14, 2022

14. Athresh_Bhat
    Honeycomb Jan 14, 2022

mallu.achayan likes this.
  15. mallu.achayan
    Honeycomb Jan 14, 2022

16. Tobikage
    General Support Expert Award 2021 Jan 14, 2022

Tobikage , Jan 14, 2022 :
    That's only a concern for people who aren't careful with their devices...

Navdeep_Malik likes this.
  17. harimadhav
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Jan 14, 2022

18. Tobikage

Says the guy who can't make out the colours blue or green....

McJader and harimadhav like this.
  19. Tokolozi
    The Lab Reviewer - OPPO Find N Jan 14, 2022

Tokolozi , Jan 14, 2022 :
    Or see the difference between Hulk and Shrek....

20. Tobikage

OnePlus TV.....is literally blinding people it seems.

Tokolozi likes this.