Xiaomi Piston 2 - Review

1. Maxl
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2014

Maxl , Oct 15, 2014 :
    [​IMG]

Today I want to give you guys my review of the Xiaomi Piston 2 (2.1).

Some of you may know that there are fakes on the market, but I own the real one.
    I have used these earphones for about a week now, and I got to tell you.. Its pretty amazing.
    It not only sounds incredible, it looks really premium and it "smells nice".

And yes, it smells like chocolate!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The packaging is very minimalistic, and only comes with a chinese user manual inside.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Accessories

It comes with a compact acrylic box that includes caps in other sizes: small, medium and large. It also includes a shirt clip.

As you can see on the picture above, the earphones are in a rubber tray.. so you take it safely wherever you want.

[​IMG]

Specifications

The Xiaomi Piston 2 has a remote control with a mic for smartphones and a volume control that only works on Android.
    • Speaker impedance 16 ohms
    • Weight 12 grams
    • Cable length 1.2 m
    • Wire core material enamelled copper wire
    • Headphone sensitivity 93dB
    • Plug Type - 3.5mm gold-plated
    • The maximum practical power - 5mW
    • Maximum acceptable power - 20mW

Sound

The Piston 2 sounds incredible, the extent of sound quality improvement made in part by opening up a large rear vent and tightening up the bass response is quite amazing. The new tuning results in significantly less bloated bass, clear mids, and a more energetic and natural.

[​IMG]

Its low end is well-extended and plenty impactful. It is still somewhat boomy compared to many higher-end sets.

The Piston 2 has a full-bodied sound with a warm tonal character. Although its sound signature follows a common "v-shape" profile with raised bass and treble, the midrange does not appear overly recessed. Clarity is good considering the bass quantity, in this price range.

[​IMG]

Design

The Xiaomi Piston 2 doesn't look or feel like a cheap product. The design is extremely well thought-out. The compact acrylic box, for example, can double as a storage case while its paper sleeve unfolds into a user manual. The rubber tray is also a cable winder. The tray and earphones have a faint chocolate aroma.

[​IMG]

The earphone itself is also impressive, with the finely ridged machined aluminum body showcasing nice attention to detail and solid construction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Microphone test

I also did a little microphone test by putting the Xiaomi Piston 2 earphones inside my OnePlus One and recorded music with screencast. (Macbook Pro speakers)

Wrap-up

The Xiaomi Piston 2 is a fantastic earphone, with an incredible amount of detail on the design, including a 3-button Android remote and a great mic, is nearly impossible for the price.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

dsmonteiro, biltoad, hpz364 and 63 others like this.
  2. Maxl

Edward, arof, mmc77 and 2 others like this.
  3. AsadP
    KitKat Oct 15, 2014

AsadP , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Holy shit.
    Sleekest review ever.
    Props to you.
    Do you know if they compare to the Silver Bullets?

The case looks pretty top notch as well as the aestethics of the earphones themselves.
    Is bass more of a factor with these?

4. twacrs

jesusprice likes this.
  5. era506
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2014

era506 , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Nice review! Where did you get them? I'm interested in these but I haven't find a reliable seller, since there's so many knock offs. Also, I'd like them in silver too, are original versions in silver?

vraghurams likes this.
  6. Nilesh Sajnani
    KitKat Oct 15, 2014

7. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Oct 15, 2014

chongswee , Oct 15, 2014 :
    I also curious as @AsadP , xiaoMi piston2.1 vs 1+ sliver earphone, who is the winner? They are exactly same price in ASIA.

8. Maxl

Maxl , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Thanks, appreciate that!

I don't know, I may as well try those out, so I can compare those two!

Well the bass is pretty loud. I have never heard earphones as loud as these (you can also tweak it with the AudioFX app)

AsadP likes this.
  9. Maxl

Maxl , Oct 15, 2014 :
    The original version is only available in gold!
    At first I thought the gold was not that good looking, but instead.. it looks amazing :)

10. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Oct 15, 2014

They have sliver white, but may be in China:)

11. Maxl

Maxl , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Really :) didn't knew that!

12. chongswee
    Jelly Bean Oct 15, 2014

Capturmir.PNG
    I only can buy the gold one, can buy the white one but will pay shipping fee.
    XiaoMi marketing strategy is very strong, they pull down Samsung and become the best seller in ASIA (China is the biggest market)

13. jimmyst

14. Maxl

Maxl , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Hmm I still prefer the gold version over the silver version.

15. Cuerex
    KitKat Oct 15, 2014

Cuerex , Oct 15, 2014 :
    i feel like the ruggedized cable is a major drawback.

sure, it looks good, but the clothing will fall apart after some weeks if you apply enough judder while moving. this causes the cable to loop itself and you have to cut the cloth in order to get it straight again.

the first signs are that it gets really fuzzy and then falls apart, when a "wound" is open enough, to let the cable shine through

drsteez likes this.
  16. laanrobe
    Honeycomb Oct 15, 2014

laanrobe , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Very nice review, congrats. Three earphones I have my eyes on at the moment:
    • Miami Piston 2.1 - already legendary for less than $25, creates a new budget high-end category
    • MEElectronics M-Duo - a bit more expensive, but dual driver and incredible performance in the sub $50 market, integrated mike but no volume controls
    • JBL E1+ - still brand new (coming soon) but an intriguing concept: a big name in audio creating a set specifically for the OPO in red, still under $50!
    All the above I believe are much better than the OnePlus Silver Bullets, which are clearly more entry level, but could be good value for money @ only $15.

17. maurini
    Nougat Oct 15, 2014

maurini , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Tnx man! :)

18. mwebsterpgh
    KitKat Oct 15, 2014

19. DC5Vz
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2014

20. Thedulli
    Gingerbread Oct 15, 2014

Thedulli , Oct 15, 2014 :
    Ordered the silver bullets via ******** as the 1+ store had run out of them. Might have bought the xiaomi ones if I'd known about them instead! Good review