Your Voice Matters

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Oct 19, 2018

Gary C. , Oct 19, 2018 :
    Your Voice Matters.png

If you ask a community member why they like OnePlus, chances are they’ll tell you that they feel like OnePlus is theirs, like a child that they brought up. The passion from our users, whether we see it in the forums or facial expressions when we meet them offline, tell us that we do not design alone. We design OnePlus with users, for our users.

In addition to open beta and other channels, our user experience design center and software product center have been conducting user research around the world. Since 2016, we have visited cities all over the world, including Shanghai, Chengdu, Shenzhen, London, Berlin, Frankfurt, Stockholm, New York, San Francisco, New Delhi, Bangalore, etc. We personally observed the lives of different users to help us understand what users really want. We also invited users from various cities to participate in our research so that we could deeply understand their pain points. So far, more than 150 users have contributed from around the world. 

Why do we spend time doing research? There are three purposes: 
    1. To determine the design direction on a rational basis, which will guide us to design a user-friendly system.
    2. To understand the environments, behaviors, attitudes, needs and restrictions of users in various regions.
    3. To verify existing designs and develop an optimization plan.
    Take the recently released OS as an example. In April, we conducted in-depth user research on this design revision in the US and Europe. During this time, we discovered many problems that we could not have known from the design process. We were able to clarify many controversial difficulties. The direction for our new style finally became clear. Thanks to the feedback from real users, we could see more clearly the advantages and disadvantages of the design and clarify the subsequent optimization direction. 

Here's how we did it. First, we determined the types of interviewees based on the research objectives and conditions, mainly those who purchased or are willing to purchase OnePlus products and chose appropriate research methods.  

Then, we started to recruit interviewees. We published recruitment posts in forums and other places to attract interviewees. Then, we filtered out final interviewees based on the information provided by the participants, and confirmed the interview time, location, etc. with each interviewee.  

Finally, we implemented the user research. Our research methods can be divided into three main categories.

Ⅰ. User Interview/Testing (to evaluate a design or design concept)

001.png

During the interview, we ask the interviewee to complete some tasks, and observe how the interviewee uses their device to understand difficulties or potential needs.

Ⅱ. Observation(to learn the usage conditions of users in real scenarios)

002.png

• Fly on the Wall: Observe events like a fly without disturbing the scene.  
    • Undercover Agent: Be a real user. Observe and experience interaction with people, the environment or services. 
    • Contextual Inquiry: Enter the user's daily life scenario, observe how the user uses their mobile device in real situations and question in a timely manner the purpose or motivation behind user behaviors.   

Ⅲ. Open Ears Forum (for comparatively large design changes)

Image 3.png

We invite 10 to18 users and share OnePlus information. We design together, and after that, we divide the users into small groups for specific discussion topics, and draw insights from the discussions.

We are very grateful to every user who provides comments and thank you very much for taking the time to participate in our research. We know it’s not about the material goods, but we do try to show our appreciation for these users through thank-you presents. Users around the world, if you are interested in participating in our research, please click the link below and enter your information to join our research list. When our research team comes to your city, we will invite you. Look forward to your participation!

Link:https://zh.surveymonkey.com/r/V3Y86RY

2. PradyumnaB
    Gingerbread Oct 20, 2018

3. sanghanijd
    Gingerbread Oct 20, 2018

sanghanijd , Oct 20, 2018 :
    Always happy to help!

viking_vp3 likes this.
  4. Funk Wizard
    Lollipop Moderator Oct 20, 2018

Funk Wizard , Oct 20, 2018 :
    It's all about you matter. Thank you for letting us be a part of this wonderful journey. #NeverSettle

5. Chirag.joshi
    Gingerbread Oct 20, 2018

6. dalepothen
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

dalepothen , Oct 20, 2018 :
    Aswm i still use my op5 8gb its still a beast

bart877ie and viking_vp3 like this.
  7. dalepothen
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

Love to be a part of oneplus family

viking_vp3 likes this.
  8. RJBoss
    The Showcase Reviewer Oct 20, 2018

9. v4vamsi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 20, 2018

v4vamsi , Oct 20, 2018 :
    Awesome! Glad to be part of this ever growing community group and providing feedback.

10. viking_vp3
    Gingerbread Oct 20, 2018

E1540537676580 likes this.
  11. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Oct 20, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Oct 20, 2018 :
    Filled up the form. I selected OnePlus 5 as my current device in the form, but that's going to change soon. ;)

12. Dresa91
    Android Q Oct 20, 2018

Dresa91 , Oct 20, 2018 :
    @Gary C., I am (and the whole community) always there to help you:)
    we have the chance to build up something big together:)
    just don’t forget where do you came from and for what and who do you stand :)

13. djrufi
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

E1540537676580 likes this.
  14. Dresa91
    Android Q Oct 20, 2018

Dresa91 , Oct 20, 2018 :
    Registered with OP3, but let’s see what happens on my birthday:D

15. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Oct 20, 2018

Bouncer71 , Oct 20, 2018 :
    yep...
    let's see how well the fingerprint scanner works and I won't be surprised at Christmas... ;D

woSch, Shivang Joshi and Dresa91 like this.
  16. Dresa91
    Android Q Oct 20, 2018

Dresa91 , Oct 20, 2018 :
    :D

woSch, Shivang Joshi and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. SpasilliumNexus
    Froyo Oct 20, 2018

SpasilliumNexus , Oct 20, 2018 :
    LOL. Did our voice matter over two years ago, when we asked for something small like better color accent selection, such as sensible red, green, blue, yellow, etc, instead of the god awful choices we have now on 3 & 3T? Or how about when it came to requesting proper camera blobs for custom ROMs? I'm pretty sure that was asked for longer than two years.

Somehow, our voices were translated into junk like OnePlus Notes, an app absolutely NO ONE asked for.

MarkAle likes this.
  18. Shivang Joshi
    Starting Point Expert Oct 20, 2018

Shivang Joshi , Oct 20, 2018 :
    Yeah, let's hope for the best ;)

Dresa91 and woSch like this.
  19. MANYA_1999
    Honeycomb Oct 20, 2018

en3rgy_22 and bad6789 like this.
  20. dalepothen
    Cupcake Oct 20, 2018

well.i was thinking about oos and all there are few things thats needs to be refined
    First is the theme when u provide white dark and black its should be theme everywhere with the accent color if i remember correctly install manager hasn't been themed its always shows white
    Second is the network speed in status bar its should have both upload and download speeds and also its should show in real time not delayed i have noticed its like delayed around 1 sec specially in India when network speed is not stable its a real issue
    Third is camera app should have grid in pro mod
    Fouth is OnePlus should have a fit app with everything like sleep monitor and all different mode like walking and all. Sometimes i have noticed that it records travel in public transportation as cycling so its important its has an option to delete that types of data and also able to sync with Google fit
    Fifth is a pay / wallet app like Samsung pay with uses both nfc as well as mst technology and also to sent money to google tez user
    i know its been a long stretch but these are the things i miss alot i relay on other app for the basic stuff