Zen Mode pushed without asking.

1. ironass KitKat Aug 12, 2019

2. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 12, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Aug 12, 2019 :
    The first message that popped up on my phone after installing Zen mode:

Screenshot_20190811-080226.jpg

Ignoring the reason stated, there is absolutely no reason for this app to access internet. These messages are probably displayed to cover their back due to GDPR and other requirements.

Same applies to OnePlus stock file manager, screen recorder, and other apps. I don't know why they are all tightly integrated with Google Backup Transport and other important services.

Just because we allow one service (Google) to access our data doesn't mean automatic consent for anyone to take our data. One is a choice we made. The other is forced upon us.

A1565115840631 and kktpsa like this.
  3. kktpsa Froyo Aug 12, 2019

kktpsa, Aug 12, 2019 :
    Yes,thats the trick they have done to prevent us from disabling the data access. Its integrated into multiple apps.

Everyone who supports this, please spread the word, and let us know if you find a solution to fight this app crap.

4. KeepTransisting The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 12, 2019

KeepTransisting, Aug 12, 2019 :
    Your solution to prevent data collection is this: get rid of a smart phone. That's pretty much the only way. Might as well stop using the internet while you're at it, as most ISPs track your DNS requests to build a profile on you.

5. kktpsa Froyo Aug 12, 2019

kktpsa, Aug 12, 2019 :
    I have cloudflare dns for now.
    Will keep upgrading.

People, please dont get shamed by such rude replies. Thats what they are trying to do. Saving their own....

Keep fighting for the solution confidently.

6. kktpsa Froyo Aug 12, 2019

kktpsa, Aug 12, 2019 :
    Great info bro. You arranged my words in a better way. Thank you

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 12, 2019

No. We decide who gets our data. That should be the only way. OEMs make a device and we pay for it. They have no business collecting data, unless that is part of the deal like Amazon does with it's Fire tablets. Google is in the business of data collection, and more importantly, they offer amazing services in return which are possible only with collecting data. OnePlus isn't in that business, but they seem to be engaging in it covertly.

kktpsa likes this.
  8. Madnezz4Ever Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2019

Madnezz4Ever, Aug 12, 2019 :

kktpsa

I have cloudflare dns for now.
    Will keep upgrading.

People, please dont get shamed by such rude replies. Thats what they are trying to do. Saving their own....

Keep fighting for the solution confidently.​

Better watch out cloudflare is collecting your data and selling it to the highest bidder.

Who's being rude?
    Saving their own?

If you don't want anyone collecting data on you then stop using the internet as every app on your phone collects some type of data. The websites you use also collect data on you.

9. Baymax Starting Point Expert Aug 12, 2019

Baymax, Aug 12, 2019 :
    Explain then why you can run Zen Mode when the phone is in Airplane Mode...

10. Baymax Starting Point Expert Aug 12, 2019

Baymax, Aug 12, 2019 :
    You can block all sorts of usage in Zen Mode. You can even run Zen Mode while the phone is in airplane mode... Sure they are selling data when you don't even need the internet to run Zen Mode. :rolleyes:

kktpsa likes this.
  11. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 12, 2019

The Zen mode actually works even if you deny the network permission. That is the only saving grace. The question is this: why do you need network access? They used the same message for the other apps as well. If update is truly the reason, they might as well publish the app in the Play Store. Or you can tell me how the app will update itself?

And why are all these integrated with completely unrelated services like Google Backup Service?

Screenshot_20190612-153214.jpg

V1543877484217 and kktpsa like this.
  12. Baymax Starting Point Expert Aug 12, 2019

Baymax, Aug 12, 2019 :
    Well, you use network to update the app as it specifies. OnePlus probably updates the app from its own servers. I don't see any problems with this. Zen Mode is a system app and Play Store can't really update a system app unless it is Google's own.

Even updating Zen Mode is optional though.

13. thesimulacre Cupcake Aug 12, 2019

Ak. likes this.
  14. profdrdenis Eclair Aug 13, 2019

profdrdenis, Aug 13, 2019 :
    you worried about Zen mode?

and all other Apps, social media, google, Wifi, Lan, Internet, web cam? (maybe I forgot many)

And why you want to use Zen mode? You have your phone time not under control?

P.S.
    read the Zen mode Q&A. The network is only for upgrade.

15. kktpsa Froyo Aug 13, 2019

kktpsa, Aug 13, 2019 :
    Many other apps can be force stopped, disabled, and blocked from accessing internet. Zen mode app is kept stuborn and cannot be stopped from any of those,(along with a few apps, which are not new).
    They have even rigged it, so that you wont be able to remove it from start up.

Please read original posts.

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 13, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Aug 13, 2019 :
    App update is a story they are telling you. You may want to believe it, I don't.

Above all, they have integrated many of OnePlus' own services like camera service, screenshot, applocker, (infamous) factory mode, logkit, etc. to Google Backup. While OOS offers an inbuilt firewall service to block data access to apps, it has cleverly whitelisted it's own apps and services and you can't block data access to them without root. With root you can, but then you will have to block all of them together, including Google Backup and that is a problem.

Their gallery app has been found pinging an unknown server in China. Can you explain why?

Check this out (and the comments in the next 2 pages):

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/privacy-apps-and-settings.492459/page-7

17. profdrdenis Eclair Aug 13, 2019

profdrdenis, Aug 13, 2019 :
    I dont understand this topic. When anybody is worried about the Zen mode app or any other app or a ping to unknown server in China....

Why you are her in this forum? Cause - I am very sure - you have a Oneplus phone.

when people fear about "big brother" throw the phone in the garbage

18. Georgeoneplus7pro Gingerbread Aug 13, 2019

kktpsa and V1543877484217 like this.
  19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan Lollipop Aug 13, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan, Aug 13, 2019 :
    You don't understand because you think escaping from a problem is the only solution. Many others find/ fight for a proper solution, because that is the way it should be.

kktpsa and profdrdenis like this.
  20. Baymax Starting Point Expert Aug 13, 2019

Baymax, Aug 13, 2019 :
    First of all... It isn't to an unknown server in China.
    It is a known server in Japan, Texas, UK, etc.
    If you didn't notice too it is all UDP (User Data Protocol) and each IP underneath connects to a separate country thus making sure that no country has a wrong time code on a picture taken.

Second of all... You will notice it isn't pinging anything. There is no output as shown in the firewall app. Meaning info comes down from the servers but no info is going back to the servers as you can tell that the packets are blocked anyway.

Edit: it doesn't even look like those are even there anymore either so if it was shady practice it is gone now too.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019